What a drive from Baker City to Lake Tahoe. It was so boring; we thought we were going to poke our eyes out. Here are the “highlights”
- It does get too hot for the top down. We have decided that 33 is the max
- Wondering if your car is going to melt at 42 C.
- You should never hear the same song twice in one day on satellite radio!
- Was never so happy to see a little shack on the Indian Reserve in Nevada, in the middle of nowhere that served hot dogs!
- If you have ever driven to Regina, Saskatchewan….that had more to see than this leg of the trip.
- Was sooooo happy to see our hotel in Lake Tahoe 11 hours after we started.
We took a break today and stayed in Lake Tahoe, on the California side. This place is amazing. Our hotel was close to a little town called Truckee. This was the coolest little town. It has the Banff vibe, but it is a functioning Heritage Park.
All the building are historic, and have been restored. Right down to the old school gas pumps, though they didn’t work, added charm to the whole thing. The restaurants were quaint, and the food was nothing short of spectacular. One thing we are doing from now on is sharing a single serving of whatever. We keep forgetting how big the USA portions are.
Of course what would a trip to Lake Tahoe be, without going to the lake? It is the clearest lake we have ever seen. You can see the bottom, and the fish swimming in it. Kinda sucks for them! There is so much to do there. Hike, boat, bike, paddleboard. It would worth staying at least a week here, just to do everything.
Now is the time to start the final leg to Las Vegas. We have asked around, and the consensus is the 395 the whole way. It would appear to be like our first day of driving, which was great. This will take us through Furnace Valley, of which the forecast high is 127 F by the tine we reach it today. This will be officially the hottest place I have been. Might be a little frightened to get out of my car. Vegas or bust baby!